Monday, August 31, 2009

Fall CBS Show Preview: Accidentally on Purpose



This show CRACKED me up! Here is what CBS offers about it:

ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE is a comedy starring Golden Globe Award winner Jenna Elfman as Billie, a single woman who finds herself "accidentally" pregnant after a one-night stand with a much younger guy, and decides to keep the baby… and the guy. A newspaper film critic, Billie is barely surviving a humiliating breakup with her charming boss, James (Grant Show), who's still trying to resume their relationship. Suddenly expecting a child with her "boy toy," Zack (Jon Foster), Billie and Zack make an arrangement: to live together platonically. Billie's party girl best friend Olivia (Ashley Jensen), and Abby (Lennon Parham), her conventional, younger married sister, eagerly look forward to the new addition and offer their own brands of advice and encouragement. But when Zack and his freeloading friends, including Davis (Nicolas Wright), start to turn her place into a frat house, Billie isn't sure if she's living with a boyfriend, a roommate, or if she just has another child to raise.


I LOVE Jenna Elfman. She has this quality about her that just makes me relate immediately. This ensemble is eclectic; both Billie's (Eflman) wild and calm sides are shown as she relates to family, her ex/boss, friends, and her 'baby daddy' and his pals. The other cast members are not immediately recognizable to me, so I'll call them 'newcomers', though I'm sure, with the caliber of acting that is represented here, they are FAR from new to acting!

I can certainly relate to this show. Though I am at at a totally different 'place' in my life, since I, too, recently discovered that I was expecting a child, I know that feeling of horror mixed with happiness. I could totally see this scenario, down to Zack's friends hanging out too late at night, taking place around America! What woman who finds herself getting older than she wishes doesn't fantasize about finding a 'boy toy' with which to play?! I love when Elfman says that she 'broke her boy-toy', and also love the scene when she explains to Zack what she meant when she said, 'Don't mess with my stuff!' This just seems to me to be a very down to earth and believable story line done with a fresh viewpoint. Yes, we've seen single women have babies in sitcoms before, but never exactly like this!

I truly believe that this will be a fun show to watch, and look forward to tuning in for the premiere on Monday, September 21st at 8:30 (which means that this show is joining my FAVORITE night of tv on CBS! Woo hoo!)

The premise for the show is based on Mary F. Pols' bestselling memoir by the same name.

No comments: